Skip to main content

California

In June, my family and I had the privelege of spending 9 days in California for a wonderful time of vacation and visiting relatives. It was the first vacation that we'd taken as a whole family since we've all "grown-up".

California is beautiful with the rugged mountains, the beaches, the sunsets, and even the deserts I think of as God's creative handiwork. I was born and raised in S. Cal so I suppose it will always hold a special place in my heart... what can I say? This pic was taken in La Jolla (suburb of San Diego), and there is actually a seal hanging-out on the ledge of one of the rocks!

The best part of our trip was being reunited with our grandpa, uncle, aunt and cousins on my dad's side. They graciously welcomed us into their already-busy home when we first arrived, and we had so much fun.

During the fi
rst Saturday there, we also took some time to remember my grandma, visiting her grave with grandpa. She passed away in February of 2002, and is now with the Lord. She was always a godly example of a loving wife, mother and grandmother to me. She and grandpa were married for almost 60 years. I praise God for the way He's used both of their lives.

The rest of the week was spent at our time-share near San Diego, and taking day trips to La Jolla, Coronado Island, the Wild Animal Park. If you've never been to San Diego, I highly recommend it ... it has both perfect weather and beautiful scenery!!


Other highlights of our trip included:
A whirlwind tour (we're talking all in one day!!) of ALL our old-stomping-grounds.... our old homes, church, schools, friends' house, favorite old eating places (right Holly??), and the list goes on.

Rook..... and LOTS of it!!! (This our family's all-time favorite card game, complete with "special" rules that govern how we play ... as Andrea and Dan quickly found out, you have to learn this game if you're gonna survive in our family, right?).

And the gift of TIME (time to relax by the pool, read, catch up) and FAMILY.

Returning to CA, is still in many ways to me, like "returning home". Afterall, I was born and raised there. I've had many "homes" in my life though: California, Ohio, Dominican Republic, and for the last 5 years, Indiana, but it was nice to return to what will always be my childhood home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty

I think it's crazy but true how much we (girls especially) base our definition of beauty on what we see in magazines, tv, etc... why do we do that?? I confess it's sometimes easy for me to fall into that trap of comparing myself... what if I lost 15 pounds or wore this makeup or got my hair cut in this way... and on and on?? This will never lead to a right attitude!! How do we keep a right perspective then?? Two thoughts come to my mind: 1) Stop the comparing, and replace it with an accurate (God-centered) view of ourselves. Beauty is good. God created us, and said it was "good". He wants us to take care of ourselves. It's important to me to exercise, eat healthy ...I want to continue those habits (or get better at them in some cases :). I even want to try to look my best...when I know Brandon is coming to see me, I've found I just naturally want to look nice....I can't help it! I think God is honored by those attitudes, but he hates when we compare ours

Aiden's Birth Story (on his 1st Birthday)

Aiden James Taylor was born on Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 at 12:16pm.  He weighed 6 lbs, 8 oz. at birth and was 18 1/2 in. long.  It was love at first sight!  During the last couple weeks of my pregnancy, I had begun having high blood pressure along with swelling in my feet.  My doctor took me off work on May 8th, and I began the eager waiting process.  I had to check my blood pressure 3 times a day, and overall it was only a little high, until I'd go to my OB and then I'd have white-coat syndrome, get nervous, and my blood pressure would go up.  On Monday, June 1st, I went in for my last weekly OB appt, and my blood pressure was very high (I'm not sure exactly but it was definitely over 140/90), so my doctor said that they were going to induce me before it got any higher.  My appointment was at 2pm at her office, and she asked me to meet her at the hospital at 4pm.  At the hospital, Brandon met me, and they inserted a foley catheter which is supposed to cause you to diala

Indoor Waterpark Adventures

We took a spontaneous mini family vacation down to Sandusky, OH (only 2 1/2 hours away!) to an indoor waterpark for two days.  Aiden loved the water.  I was very proud of him. (A bonus was that I found these swim trunks on clearance at Zellers for $2.50 and the swim shirt for $3.00....yeah for good deals) All that playing made him sleepy though.. (he definitely slept well when we got home!) My other "boy" loved the water too. The main lobby of the hotel.  Complete with talking animals (that moose on the wall started moving and making sounds when we were sitting below it). Part of our room - the living room area Soaking up some sun on the balcony. Breakfast at the hotel. Aiden was eager to eat what we were eating. Wait a minute.... : ) I love seeing how Brandon loves on his boy.  Don't they seem to have the same expression here?  I love it. It was a nice, quick getaway, and we were thankful for it!