Skip to main content

Hudson's Birth Story

Hudson surprised us by arriving exactly 1 month early. I had not felt any movement all day Sat May 21, and so was told I needed to come into triage. I arrived around 7pm.. They hooked me all up and found Hudson's heartbeat no problem. Then his heartrate dipped very low, and they went into emergency mode throwing an oxygen mask on me and calling the doctor. His heartrate went back to normal. Dr. Hasen did a quick ultrasound and found that my amniotic fluid was very, very low, and told me I couldn't leave. He said Hudson needed to come out as soon as possible. So I called Brandon and he called his mom and arranged for her to come over to care for Aiden and then he packed up and got to the hospital. Dr. Hasen was wonderful and so comforting and the whole delivery was amazingly easy. They got me right in a room, put a foley catheter in to get things going, started pitocin, broke my water. This was all by maybe midnight. I was dialating, but not extremely fast and started feeling some pain. I told them I wanted the epidural earlier this time because of how painful Aiden's delivery was. Even though this epidural was delayed about and hour or hour and 1/2 after I asked for it, I was able to work through the contractions with Brandon's encouragement. I got the epidural maybe around 1 to 2 am, and felt so good after that. Brandon slept but I was just too excited to sleep and also wondering how Aiden was (it was the first night we'd ever spent away from Aiden). I was still only dialated to about 4 cm around 5 - 5:30am, so the nurse and doctor told me he wouldn't come until maybe that afternoon. Soon after that though I started feeling alot of pain very low that came on very quickly and got worse and worse very fast. I started crying and calling for Brandon to wake up and get the nurse because seemed to be quickly. They talked about topping up the epidural but didn't check me because they just had like 15 mins earlier. Finally I was really crying and feeling like pushing so one nurse said, "maybe we should check her again". Sure enough, I went from 4 cm to 10 cm in about 45 mins. They called for Dr. Hasen and once he got in I pushed once right away, he said not to push too hard because the baby was coming out so fast. I pushed one more little push and Hudson basically fell out. He was born at 6:36am.


He cried and we were in love immediately. It was so amazing to hold him and just look at his sweet little face .... he was so tiny.  He was 4 lbs, 9 oz, and measured at the weight of a 33 week old, even though he was 36 weeks.  A few minutes later he was being taken down to the NICU because he was so small and his blood sugar was a little off. He ended up spending 15 days in the NICU for low birth weight and not eating. God provided wonderful nurses and Dr. Adie (who was Aiden's neonatalogist already!), and gave us the strength to somehow care for Aiden at home and Hudson in the NICU, even while Brandon could only take about a week off from work at the church. We were so thankful for the help of our parents and siblings and church family at this time in caring for Aiden, when I had to be in the NICU with Hudson, and in bringing meals. We couldn't have done it without their help and prayers for sure! I pumped and pumped milk during this time, around the clock every 3 hours and tried to breastfeed/bottle feed every three hours.  We went back and forth from home and the NICU, and we couldn't wait for the day we could bring Hudson home to be with his brother. Hudson needed tube-feeding for quite awhile (because he could only take a few mls sometimes by breast or bottle at the beginning) and he also had to have a spinal tap to check for infection because he was eating so little (thankfully it came back fine!). Finally he started eating enough to not need the tube, and came home on June 6th!! My mom was able to come up on that day to be with us and help us... she was truly amazing! God provided for us in so many ways during the whole NICU time and gave us strength we didn't know we had to keep caring for our two boys even though they were apart, and we're very thankful. We were so happy to finally have our two boys under one roof!! Hudson weighed just over 5 lbs when he was able to come home, and I'm so thankful that I was able to keep up with all the pumping (despite not being able to breastfeed) and provide him with all breastmilk until almost 4 mos.   He is such a sweet joy in our lives, and so loved by daddy, mommy and big brother.  We pray that one day he will grow to love and serve God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty

I think it's crazy but true how much we (girls especially) base our definition of beauty on what we see in magazines, tv, etc... why do we do that?? I confess it's sometimes easy for me to fall into that trap of comparing myself... what if I lost 15 pounds or wore this makeup or got my hair cut in this way... and on and on?? This will never lead to a right attitude!! How do we keep a right perspective then?? Two thoughts come to my mind: 1) Stop the comparing, and replace it with an accurate (God-centered) view of ourselves. Beauty is good. God created us, and said it was "good". He wants us to take care of ourselves. It's important to me to exercise, eat healthy ...I want to continue those habits (or get better at them in some cases :). I even want to try to look my best...when I know Brandon is coming to see me, I've found I just naturally want to look nice....I can't help it! I think God is honored by those attitudes, but he hates when we compare ours

Aiden's Birth Story (on his 1st Birthday)

Aiden James Taylor was born on Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 at 12:16pm.  He weighed 6 lbs, 8 oz. at birth and was 18 1/2 in. long.  It was love at first sight!  During the last couple weeks of my pregnancy, I had begun having high blood pressure along with swelling in my feet.  My doctor took me off work on May 8th, and I began the eager waiting process.  I had to check my blood pressure 3 times a day, and overall it was only a little high, until I'd go to my OB and then I'd have white-coat syndrome, get nervous, and my blood pressure would go up.  On Monday, June 1st, I went in for my last weekly OB appt, and my blood pressure was very high (I'm not sure exactly but it was definitely over 140/90), so my doctor said that they were going to induce me before it got any higher.  My appointment was at 2pm at her office, and she asked me to meet her at the hospital at 4pm.  At the hospital, Brandon met me, and they inserted a foley catheter which is supposed to cause you to diala

Indoor Waterpark Adventures

We took a spontaneous mini family vacation down to Sandusky, OH (only 2 1/2 hours away!) to an indoor waterpark for two days.  Aiden loved the water.  I was very proud of him. (A bonus was that I found these swim trunks on clearance at Zellers for $2.50 and the swim shirt for $3.00....yeah for good deals) All that playing made him sleepy though.. (he definitely slept well when we got home!) My other "boy" loved the water too. The main lobby of the hotel.  Complete with talking animals (that moose on the wall started moving and making sounds when we were sitting below it). Part of our room - the living room area Soaking up some sun on the balcony. Breakfast at the hotel. Aiden was eager to eat what we were eating. Wait a minute.... : ) I love seeing how Brandon loves on his boy.  Don't they seem to have the same expression here?  I love it. It was a nice, quick getaway, and we were thankful for it!